What is Equal Pay Day, 2023?
This is my 5th annual blog on Equal Pay Day for the UK which this year, is on 22nd November.
Equal Pay Day in the UK denotes the day when women, on average, effectively stop earning relative to men because of the gender pay gap. This means that women are working for nothing for the rest of the year compared to men.
I get more and more angry every year because the pernicious inequality of the #GenderPayGap is not improving fast enough and this year, it has increased in schools.
After such improvement, we have gone backwards again meaning women have another 2 days where they are not earning compared to men.
It can't be about feminised professions as Health has a minute #Gender Pay Gap.
So, it is time to get serious about reducing this pernicious gap.
Towards this, we collaborated with NAHT, ASCL, NGA to do the first report into this issue in schools.
We also update the situation each year.
WomenEd has a full set of resources on our campaign pages to help you understand and reduce your organisational #GenderPayGap.
Take the opportunity to take action. Otherwise you are complicit in this inequality.
- Check your organisational gender pay gap
- Set up discussion groups around the gap
- Offer ways to improve it using our resources
- Ask to discuss this issue with Trustees
- Remove/Ignore the current salary question on applications and references
- Develop personal negotiation skills – use our video
- Remove current salary question on applications and references – why is it even there?
- Involve employees to plan improvements
- Review recruitment processes for bias
- Review and adopt flexible working practices
- Use #WomenEd resources to close the gap.
We have expertise in this issue and can work with you to explore, understand, and reduce your gap.
Please get in touch at
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.